When people become lawyers, they usually choose to specialize in a specific area of the law. Here are ten different types of lawyers that you may encounter at one point or another throughout your life:
1. Tax lawyers. Legal issues surrounding taxes are quite common. Instead of facing the IRS on your own, it is far better to have a qualified legal professional by your side. These lawyers can provide advice and can even deal directly with the IRS on your behalf, helping to get any tax problems resolved quickly.
2. Criminal lawyers. If you or someone you know has been charged with a crime, you will need a criminal lawyer to help you mount a suitable defense. Criminal cases are particularly worrisome since the repercussions for most crimes are quite serious. You should never try to face criminal charges on your own without the help of a lawyer.
3. Divorce lawyers. When you go through a divorce, there are a lot of details that need to be taken care of. From dealing with child custody issues to dividing assets, a divorce lawyer can walk you through the process so that everything goes smoothly.
4. Intellectual property lawyers. If you have a business, you may need to hire a lawyer to help you protect your company’s intellectual property. This includes dealing with patents, copyrights, trademarks, and other types of intellectual property.
5. Bankruptcy lawyers. If you find yourself facing a mountain of debt with no way to get out from underneath it, bankruptcy can be a good solution. A bankruptcy lawyer can help you file the necessary paperwork so that you can get your existing debts discharged, giving you a chance to start over with your finances.
6. Estate planning lawyers. Figuring out what will happen to your property after you die or how best to take care of your loved ones requires the assistance of an estate planning lawyer. These lawyers can deal with issues such as writing your will or setting up a trust.
7. Personal injury lawyers. These lawyers help recover money for injuries that are the result of accidents caused by the negligence of another party. The other party could be an individual or a business, depending on the nature of the accident. From car wrecks to slip-and-fall injuries, personal injury lawyers help victims get the compensation that they are owed. If you are in the Fort-Worth area, we recommend this fort worth car accident lawyer to help your case.
8. Immigration lawyers. Immigrating to the country can be an extremely complex process. An immigration lawyer can help with any immigration-related issues that may arise and can answer any questions that you may have about the process.
9. Workers compensation lawyers. On-the-job injuries are usually covered by workers compensation. In some cases, however, employers may balk at approving workers compensation claims. In these cases, you may need the help of one of these lawyers.
10 . General practice lawyers. These lawyers handle a broad range of issues. If you choose to work with a general practice lawyer, make sure they are familiar with the type of situation that you are facing.
Hopefully, this list of ten different types of lawyers gives you a better understanding of some of the most common legal issues that people face on a daily basis.